Summer brims with berries! Whichever way you eat them – fresh or cooked – they are packed with nutrients and flavor. Baking the crumble and filing separately ensures a super-crisp topping. Berries are sweet, sour and astringent. They are rich in antioxidants and flavonoids, making them an excellent choice for countering inflammation and supporting circulation. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, berries nourish essence, hydrate the body and strengthen the blood.
- If you like your crumble a little sweeter, increase the coconut sugar to ½ cup (125 mL).
- Thawed frozen berries make a thicken sauce than fresh berries, and the fruit is softer overall.
- If you are refrigerating any leftovers, place a paper towel over top before covering with plastic wrap to keep condensation off of the crumble.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
5 cups thawed frozen or fresh mixed berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, huckleberries or raspberries
3 tbsp large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup liquid honey
½ cup large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
½ cup sliced almonds
6 tbsp almond flour
6 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp ghee
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
⅛ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F, with racks in the upper and lower thirds.
- In a deep 8-cup sized casserole dish, stir together the berries, oats and lemon juice. Drizzle with honey. Bake on the lower rack in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Stir well. Bake, stirring 1 or 2 more times, for 30 minutes or until juices are bubbly in the center.
- Crumble Topping: Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine oats, sliced almonds, almond flour, coconut sugar, ghee, cinnamon and salt. Using a fork, stir until crumbly. Spoon onto a rimmed baking sheet, lined with parchment paper, making a single layer about ½ inch thick. Bake on the upper rack in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until edges are browned. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Remove berry mixture from the oven. Sprinkle crumble over top. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate leftovers for up to 5 days.